sennder and Poste Italiane announce €2.3bn partnership


Total freight forwarder sennder and Poste Italiane S.p.a. (“Poste Italiane”), have renewed an Italian Joint Venture (JV) and commercial agreement for up to 10 years, with the potential to generate up to €2.3bn revenues for sennder Italia during that period. Together, the two logistics leaders are utilizing technology to optimize Full Truck Load (FTL) operations and boost the movement of parcels and mail between Italy’s sorting and distribution hubs.

In 2019, sennder established operations in Milan and created sennder Italia S.r.l. through a JV with Poste Italiane. Since then, sennder Italia S.r.l. has reported €4.5m EBITDA in 2022. The success of the partnership has led to continuous year over year double-digit growth as sennder Italia S.r.l. has grown its network capacity and expanded its customer base.

As part of the agreement, Poste Italiane and sennder have agreed to accelerate the respective conversion rights envisaged by the pre-existing agreements and, as a result sennder owns 75% of sennder Italia while the remaining 25% is retained by Poste Italiane. In return, Poste Italiane has increased its stake in sennder to approximately 10% on a fully diluted basis. sennder will further integrate the Italian network into its broader European platform. With this partnership, the two logistics leaders will be able to further realize economies of scale and accelerate industry digitalization. Poste Italiane will continue to benefit from full GPS visibility of trucks, automation technology and reduced CO2 emissions through vehicles powered by alternative fuels, as well as their increased utilization.

“The partnership between Poste Italiane and sennder exemplifies the tremendous value that can be generated when a leading and established operator joins forces with a technology company. It is a true win-win relationship where Poste Italiane benefits from significant cost savings, our operations run more profitably and we achieve remarkable CO2 emission reduction through network optimization. This partnership is a testament to the power of innovation and collaboration in the logistics industry, setting a benchmark for future partnerships. We are proud to be at the forefront of this journey, delivering tangible benefits for all stakeholders in the industry,” said David Nothacker, CEO and Co-Founder of sennder.

The collaboration was the initial blueprint for sennCONTROL, sennder’s innovative service model. sennCONTROL offers end-to-end digital management of customers’ FTL volume through a single portal and interface, ensuring control, transparency, and a single point of contact for shippers and carriers. The collaboration between both companieshas paved the way for the expansion of sennCONTROL across Europe and is already used by nearly 10 customers.

Source: Sennder/Poste Italiane